Electrical or Mechanical Breakdown
This is only offered for AD policies
Mechanical or electrical breakdown means:
· any sudden and unforeseen physical loss or damage which may include (but is not limited to) the actual:
– fusion on an electronic motor. Fusion is the process of fusing or melting together of the windings of an electric motor in an insured item following damage to their insulating material as a result of overheating caused by an electrical current;
– breakdown, seizing, deformation or explosion of any part of the insured item of machinery; which is sufficient to prevent the machinery undertaking its normal operation.
· If your home is insured by this policy, we pay for loss or damage caused by mechanical or electrical breakdown to built-in:
– air-conditioners and coolers, and fans;
– dishwashers, spa and pool filter motors; and
– vacuum cleaners, security gates, or garage doors.
We also pay the cost to repair or replace an electrical machine or appliance that forms part of your home if it has a mechanical or electrical breakdown.
· If your contents are insured by this policy, we pay for loss or damage caused by mechanical or electrical breakdown to:
– refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, clothes dryers;
– portable air-conditioners and coolers, and portable fans;
– portable vacuum cleaners, spa and pool filter motors, if the spa or pool filter is not built in, or portable dishwashers; and
– water pumps used for domestic purposes.
We also pay the cost to repair or replace an electrical machine or appliance that forms part of your contents if it has a mechanical or electrical breakdown.
· Unless the mechanical or electrical breakdown is caused by fusion of an electric motor, we do not pay for the mechanical or electrical breakdown of:
– radios. DVD and CD players, audio and amplifying equipment, televisions and video players;
– sound or video recorders or cameras, microwave ovens;
– equipment or motors under manufacturers guarantee or warranty; or
– any item which is more than 20 years old.